Pages

Saturday, December 24, 2011

Crispy Turnip Fries

Hello! I've been away from blogging for too long! Travels and holiday activities have slightly taken over, and I am so glad to finally get to posting again. :) I hope you didn't forget about me...'cause I'm still here! 

Oh, and did I mention I got my first iPhone? It has been stealing a lot good amount of my attention. ;)


Anyway, back to food. I had another "first" a couple of weeks ago...cooking with turnips. They look like white beets, but aren't as sweet and have the consistency of an apple or jicama. What was I going to do with them?

I went to my trusty Google to tell me all the things that I could do. And then I picked something that would go with the bratwurst I was wanting to make for dinner. Turnip FRIES!


I cut them up in thin sticks, then tossed them in canola oil, grated parmesan cheese, a little garlic powder, paprika, pepper, and a tiny bit of salt. I adapted mine from this {recipe} I found on allrecipes.com.


Then I baked them up in a hot oven, 425F, for 20 minutes until they crisp up a little. They are pretty watery, so they don't crisp up like potatoes do, just be warned. They have a smaller starch content, which is why these are a pretty healthy alternative!


To accompany by turnips, I braised my bratwurst in white wine that I had from Thanksgiving dinner - if I had a beer, I would have probably used that, but I didn't, so I found the wine as a replacement, and it worked!


I served it up with another side of collard greens and smoked chicken (leftover from a previous dinner). And guess what hubby liked the best?

You guessed it, the turnips! Shocked me. Try these out sometime if you run across turnips in your CSA box (or your shopping cart!).

No comments:

Post a Comment