Pages

Monday, June 18, 2012

Green & White Pizza


You can't tell from the fuzzy photo, but this was a really tasty pizza. A new creation, I am calling it the Green & White. Everything on it was green or white. If you ever make one, all you need is green and white toppings, and you'll be set.


I had all these onions left over from some Persian take-out food we ordered. They always give us quarters of raw white onions in a paper bag with the plastic utensils and extra sumac seasoning. But, I'm not a huge fan of raw onion, so I saved them for another day. This was the day.


I carmelized them by heating up 2 tablespoons of olive oil and 2 tablespoons of butter, dumping in the sliced onions, sprinkled with salt, and turned the heat on low, letting them cook really slow. Low and slow, baby. They will sweeten up and turn a beautiful golden brown color. Smells so good.


Second white ingredient: chicken breast. I cubed 2 breasts and seasoned them with salt, black pepper, and Italian seasoning. Then I sauteed the chicken in the same pan that my onions were in, after they were done.


Third white ingredient: mozzarella cheese. First green ingredient: basil pesto (pre-made from the farmer's market).


Second green item: capers. They are are salty and pickled and add the slightest bit of tang to a fairly sweet pizza (because of the onions).


Here it is, all ready for the oven. I was going to add spinach to even out the green and white, but I got lazy. No one but me knew the difference. It is what you make it after all, right?

Baked it up in a 450 degree oven for 10 minutes and it was bubbly and delicious. My husband said it was the best yet. I guess they just keep getting better, because he seems to always say that when I make pizza. Give the Green & White a try. Just be sure to use whatcha got.

No comments:

Post a Comment