Pages

Sunday, August 14, 2011

Roasted Rack of Lamb & Summer Squash Gratin

I love Google. More often than not, I get my ideas from the web. I type in the ingredient(s) that I have and want to use, and let the search engine find me the best ideas. My favorite recipe website is probably allrecipes.com. They have really great recipes, reviews, and everything I try is really delicious.


This week, I bought a frenched rack of lamb from Costco and also wanted to use up the summer squash* from my CSA box.
*Note: I find that the earlier I use it the better. When squash sits too long, the skin gets bitter. I'm pretty sure that's why I hated squash when I was a kid. It's taken years for me to really enjoy it...for fear of bitter squash skin. Blech.


In a couple of minutes of scanning links, I found a 5-star rated recipe for the lamb, and a blog's recipe for summer squash gratin.

Tossed with lemon juice, olive oil, salt & pepper, add feta cheese, and a mixture of egg and milk, then sprinkle with herbes de provence or thyme.
 Baked in the oven at 350 degrees until eggs are set and it's golden brown on top
And let me tell you...when I find recipes that turn out exactly like I imagine they will - in look, taste, smell - I get super excited. I start "speak-singing" (part talking, part opera-singing, like, "Iii'm gett-ing ex-ciiiiited!!!!!" can you hear it?). It's my subconscious cue to my hubby to rave and rave about what he's about to eat.
The lamb with olive oil, salt & pepper - ready to sear in an oven-safe pan
Chop up some fresh rosemary leaves for the crust
The recipe called for garlic, rosemary, salt, and bread crumbs. I didn't have bread crumbs, so I used parmesan cheese!
After you sear the rack of lamb, brush it with dijon mustard
Put the rosemary mixture onto the lamb, and cover the bones with foil to prevent burning
Put the lamb in the oven for 12-14 minutes, until the temperature reaches 145 degrees for medium rare. Let it sit for 15 minutes and then slice the chops between each bone.
These two recipes delivered the speak-singing. And dancing. I think I even clicked my heels. And the meal got its raves...from him and from me.


Yuuuummmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment