Pages

Friday, October 28, 2011

Baked Frittatas and Quiches


One of my favorite things to make when I have a few people coming for brunch or lunch is quiche. It's a great way to get creative and use up things in your fridge that are ready to be eaten. Any veggie or protein tastes great with eggs, so like omelets, you can use what you have, and it's pretty much guaranteed to taste wonderful.

If making quiche, I will make my own pie crust or purchase an already made one from the freezer section at the grocery store.

If making it without a crust, as in this case...I call it a baked frittata. Frittatas are generally started on the stove in a pan and finished in the oven...but this one was oven-only. It works just fine.

I started by washing and tearing up some  rainbow chard into smaller pieces and wilting it (no oil) in a sautee pan.
Then I added diced red pepper...until it was all soft and tender.

Next, I prepped the egg custard. I used the equivalent of 6 eggs with egg substitute, 1/2 cup of milk, salt, pepper, and herbes de Provence.

I put the veggies, some cooked sausage, and cheese at the bottom of my "greased" pie dish. If making it with crust, I will spread Dijon mustard on the bottom of the pie crust first for extra flavor, then add the goodies.

Pour in the egg mixture and top with more cheese.

Bake at 375F for about 45-60 minutes, on the middle rack, and placing a cookie sheet below it just in case it overflows while it rises.

I served it with a green salad and some roasted potatoes and squash. Yum!
When you think of ingredients to add to your quiche or frittata, remember to add only cooked meats to it. Veggies don't need to be cooked first, but some like peppers, squash, onions, and leafy greens have a better flavor if they are sauteed a little first. Happy cookin'!

2 comments:

  1. Once again, Lea, you give me inspiration and great ideas for how to use up my CSA veggies! I love your blog!
    -Julie (Dina's sister)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! So glad you're finding it useful, Julie!

    ReplyDelete