Pages

Monday, October 3, 2011

Seattle Food Tour Spotlight: Salumi



Salumi is a Seattle Food Tour stop that gets its own "spotlight" post because I took so many pictures there and I wanted you to see them all. And, it was the one place that I had on my mind's Must Eat list for the trip. And, it's uh-may-zing. First of all, they are a specialty shop making cured pork products and I love me some pork. Second, the owners are the parents of an Iron Chef.

Can you guess which one?
Maybe this picture of their bookshelf will give you a clue...
If you guessed Mario Batali, congratulations! Either he's their son, or they are just really huge fans. :)


This was the line outside when we arrived at 11:40am. It looked the same when we left at 1pm. They are only open to the public Tuesday-Friday 11-4. But, they cater and can host private parties.

Like any good Italian establishment, there's a wall of family photos.
Mario is in the color pic in the middle.
The counter where you place your order and pay.
Notice the massive meat slicer front and center.
The Porchetta: braised pork shoulder with onions, peppers,
and lots of Italian spices served on a chewy baguette. Think Italian pulled pork.
The Muffo: their take on a classic muffaletta, complete with salami, sopresatta,
provolone, and an olive salad soaked into a ciabatta bun. Think Italy hits New Orleans.

Happy me. Hubby and I always talk about our Top 5 Sandwiches because he's a sandwich lover. He's definitely rubbing off on me because this is definitely Top 5 material and I was loving it. It was well worth the wait in line and the trip to Seattle. I can't wait 'til we get to eat there again!  Oh, and if you're reading this and you live in Seattle, it is your civic duty to try this place out. It will not disappoint.

No comments:

Post a Comment