Pages

Friday, September 30, 2011

I'm So Happy Right Now

This post was written on Monday, September 26, 2011, but I waited to publish it. I am still happy, though. Makes me smile to just think about it.

I think I just had the most successful, delicious, creative, satisfying solo meal of my life. I know that's a hefty statement, but I'm so happy right now. And I'm in between courses. I haven't even finished my meal yet. Dessert is waiting for me. And did I mention, I made it myself? I think my cooking ego reached a new high.

Hubby left today for work travel. I'm on my own. More often than not, I forget to eat when I'm home alone. I don't feel like cooking, so I snack all day and never eat a meal or I work through lunch, break, and dinner. Then I get a headache and I remember that I'm hungry about 5 hours too late. 

Not today. Today I'm having a multiple-course meal. By myself.

I've been staring at this almost-empty jar in my fridge for days. I only had enough enchilada sauce to make one portion of enchiladas. Perfect. There's only one of me! Add corn tortillas, shredded cheddar and Monterey jack cheese, rotisserie chicken cut up in chunks, and a mini loaf pan, pop it in the oven, and I had dinner.

I even had an appetizer while it baked. A slice each of prosciutto and capocolla, and 2 slices of salami. The Costco pack. Fancy.

So... I have two of these blue mini loaf pans. And I used both tonight. The other baked up a mean bread pudding made from two leftover, stale, wheat dinner rolls, egg subsitute, milk, brown sugar, vanilla, and cinnamon topped with leftover oatmeal toppings (sliced almonds, dried cranberries), and a little raw sugar.

I'm telling you, sometimes I surprise myself. 

I stuck both loaf pans in a 375 degree oven at the same time. I took the enchiladas out after 15 minutes, and doubled the time for the bread pudding. By the time I finished eating dinner, dessert was ready.

Hot enchiladas topped with a healthy dollop of sour cream. :)
After it baked...it rose quite a bit and was yummy.
It was perfection in the form of comfort food. I'm so happy right now. I am so happy. Right. Now.


Oh..uh...well, I was happy besides the fact that my husband wasn't there to share it with me, of course. Love you, Babe!

No comments:

Post a Comment