Pages

Friday, February 3, 2012

Cauliflower & Turnip Mash, Sauteed Leeks & Mushrooms


All this beautiful produce came in my CSA box a few weeks ago: cauliflower, turnips, trumpet mushrooms and leeks.

I decided to try mixing the turnips and cauliflower in a mock mashed potato, then saute the mushrooms and leeks for another side dish.

I started by dicing up all of the cauliflower and turnips. I put them in a big stock pot with some chicken stock for more flavor, but you could use water or vegetable stock too. Boil them up, and when you can slide a knife through the veggies, they are done.


I put the cooked veggies into my food processor (a blender would work too), and pulsed it until it was smooth. I added a little milk, salt and pepper, and it was ready to go.



For the leeks and mushrooms, I chopped them all in uniform pieces. I threw a tablespoon of butter and another 2 tablespooons of olive oil in a pan, then added the veggies over medium-high heat. When the mushrooms were soft and the leeks were transluscent and a little brown, those were done too.


I was ready for a restocking trip to Costco because I hardly had any protein in my freezer to add to the meal. But I did have some cajun chicken cocktail sausages! So I warmed those up and there was dinner. The leeks and mushrooms were so fresh and buttery. The mash was creamy and didn't weigh us down like a potato would do. Farm fresh dinners are so great.


No comments:

Post a Comment