Pages

Friday, February 24, 2012

Healthier Variation on Chocolate Chip Kahlua Cake


I mentioned on Facebook that my hubby requested the chocolate Kahlua cake for Valentine's Day. I was not about to make a whole bundt cake for just him and me. So I looked for a chocolate cake recipe that I could modify into cupcakes and cut in half. It would have been a little too difficult to only use half a box of cake mix.

I took {this recipe}, changed out the less healthy ingredients for healthier substitutes, cut it in half, and made cupcakes. Smaller portions are always a good thing.

Here's my take on it:

Diet-Friendly Chocolate Chip Kahlua Cupcakes (makes about 16 cupcakes)
1 cup flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup sugar (or Splenda)
1 cup plain yogurt (I used Greek style yogurt)
3/4 cup egg substitute (or 3 large eggs)
1/2 cup applesauce
3 T Kahlua liqueur
3/4 cup chocolate chips

Icing:
1.5 cups powdered sugar
4 T Kahlua liqueur

Preheat oven to 350F. Line muffin tin with paper liners.
Sift flour, cocoa powder,  and baking powder in a medium-large mixing bowl to get out any lumps. Add salt and sugar. Then add in all the wet ingredients: yogurt, eggs, applesauce, and Kahlua. Stir until well-blended. Fold in the chocolate chips.
Fill the paper liners with the batter 3/4 full. It should fill about 16 liners. Bake 30-34 minutes or until you can stick a toothpick in and it comes out clean. Cool the cupcakes completely - at least 30-45 minutes. Mix the powdered sugar with the Kahlua to make the icing in a small bowl. Hold the cooled cupcake by the liner and dip the top into the icing. Let them set on a wire rack. Eat one...or two. Share the rest!

No comments:

Post a Comment