Pages

Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Hawaiian Ahi Poke


If you like sashimi or sushi, and you haven't tried it before, Hawaiian Ahi Poke is the dish you need to make. It's a raw fish salad that originated in Hawaii. The work poke means "slice or cut" and that's all that is required for making this dish. No cooking required. Most commonly made with Ahi, or yellowfin tuna, it is cut into cubes and marinated or dressed in wonderful Asian flavors.


I find my tuna at Costco in a package of 1.5-2lbs and dice both steaks up into inch-sized cubes.


All the recipes I've found vary a little bit, but mine includes soy sauce, sesame oil, red chili flakes, sea salt, green onions, shallots, seaweed, and toasted sesame seeds.


I buy my seaweed at the Japanese market down the road from where I live, but any Asian market would probably have something like it. It comes dehydrated, so I take a half a cup of water and soak the seaweed until it is soft, mabe 10 minutes.


Then you just add all of the ingredients into the bowl, mix it up and let is chill in the refrigerator for at least an hour, to let all of the flavors soak in to the fish.

It serves as a great appetizer or salad course. I've also eaten it by itself as a meal with a green salad at lunch time. Tuna can be expensive, so this is a treat that I like to make once or twice a year. It is super easy to do and is an impressive dish for guests as well. That is, if you feel like sharing. :)

So, try it out next time you're feeling a little bit of aloha spirit!

Here's my recipe:
Hawaiian Ahi Poke
1.5-2lbs ahi tuna steak, cut in 1-inch cubes
1/2 cup soy sauce (I use lite soy)
2 T sesame oil
1/2 cup green onions, chopped
1-2 shallots, finely chopped
1/4 cup seaweed, rehydrated in water
1tsp sea salt or kosher salt
1tsp toasted sesame seeds
1/2 tsp red chili flakes

Mix all the ingredients together. Cover with plastic wrap and chill it in the refrigerator for at least one hour. Keeps well in fridge for 2-3 days.

Take a bite, close your eyes, and imagine you're on a Hawaiian beach at sunset...until next time,  aloha!

No comments:

Post a Comment