Pages

Saturday, March 10, 2012

Lettuce Wrap Tacos


I got some great bib lettuce in my CSA box. I always try to wash and use the lettuce as soon as I can because I find that organic lettuce is very delicate and can wilt quickly.

This bib lettuce makes a great vessel to wrap up tasty flavors. Besides my Thai-inspired lettuce wraps, I also like to do Tex-Mex tacos. So I went searching in my kitchen for all the right ingredients.

I had ground turkey, black beans, colby jack cheese. Good start.

Hmm. No onions, tomatoes, sour cream, avocado. No taco seasoni...what?!? I ran out of taco seasoning?? Uh-oh. I panicked a little. I always have packets of taco seasoning in my pantry!!

Well, apparently I ran out. I searched a little deeper. Oh hello, Rotel canned diced tomatoes with green chiles. I will use you.

I also used leeks (somehow I have had an abundance of leeks in my CSA lately) in place of onions. I used greek yogurt in place of sour cream.


I used some Mexican herb mix (which has Mexican oregano, dried onion, and other yummy things) , some chili powder, garlic powder, salt, pepper, red chile flakes, cumin, and coriander to season the meat. I browned the meat on medium heat, threw in the leeks and canned tomato/chile, and I had my filling. Success!


I warmed up the black beans on the stove top sprinkled with a little of the Mexican Herb mix and salt, and dinner was ready to eat. Tacos with no shell or tortilla OR packaged taco seasoning. Revolutionary.

No comments:

Post a Comment